If you’re struggling with GERD(Gastro esophageal reflux disease) or Acid reflux. The pain is frustrating, it will affect what you eat, it can change how you sleep. For some people if affects you intermittently. For some, every day is a struggle.
What is GERD/reflux?
After food passes through your esophagus into your stomach, a muscular valve called the lower esophageal sphincter (LES) closes, preventing food or acid to move back up.
Acid reflux occurs when the LES relaxes inappropriately, allowing acid from your stomach to flow (reflux) backward into your esophagus. But it’s important to understand that acid reflux is not a disease caused by excessive acid production in your stomach; rather it’s a symptom more commonly related to:
• Hiatal hernia1
• Helicobacter pylori (H. pylori) infection (H. pylori bacteria is thought to affect more than half of the world’s population, and has been identified as a Group 1 carcinogen by the World Health Organization2)
While these two conditions are unrelated, many who have a hiatal hernia also have H. pylori, which cause a chronic low-level inflammation of your stomach lining that can result in an ulcer3 and associated symptoms.
If you have a hiatal hernia, many chiropractors are skilled at this adjustment.
The hypothesis that H. pylori infection is responsible, or at least a major factor, for producing the symptoms of acid reflux stems from the work done by Dr. Barry Marshall, an Australian physician, during the early 1980s.
Settling for Medical Treatments
What’s worse is the treatment for this condition. Daily medication is something that you settle for because that just seems to be the only option you have. But just like most people, you don’t want to take medication every day, knowing that it’s not actually healing the underlying problem.
The surprising facts seen in people with GERD have been told that they have too much HCL produced and needs to be reduced, hence the proton pump inhibitor medication to decrease the acid production.
However, we now know the problem is different. And we have to look at the problem differently to deliver the solution.
1. Complete the digestive process: you need enough of the right kinds of acid to complete normal digestion after each meal. When things aren’t digested properly, then the stomach produces smaller amounts of acid consistently leading to the pain and discomfort.
2. Support digestive healing: lack of complete digestion damages the lining of the ch and small intestine that leads to more pain and discomfort.
3. Clear Physical obstructions: Hiatal Hernia will create the pressure around the stomach that leads to GERD. Specific soft tissue manipulation of the hiatal hernia.
4. Nurtitional Reset: Creating a nutritional environment that promotes digestive completion and healing for a lifetime.
Our digestive healing protocol will address these 3 areas. Digestive completion and digestive healing. We Begin by supplementing with the proper amount and type of acid. We’ll then add specific enzymes to begin the healing of your digestive tract.
After we see the proper signs of digestive healing, we’ll move on to a nutritional reset to get your diet in order so that you’re not continually damaging your digestion.
Current patient? Just drop by the office and you can get started in our nutritional protocol. We’ll be happy to support you and your nutritional needs. If you’re new to our office, click below to schedule an appointment to evaluate you and decide what directions we need to go to improve your health. Http://meetme.so/tompkinschiro
You don’t have to suffer with reflux for the rest of your life. Get an evaluation today!
Tompkins Family Chiropractic Marana and Northwest Tucson, Call 520.572.2596 http://www.tompkinschiropractic.com From back pain to sciatica, neck pain to headaches, ADHD to Autism, Dr. Tompkins creates an individualized health program to suit your specific needs. See why we’re voted best of the northwest for 3 years straight. Whether you have pain with pregnancy, headaches, sports injuries or ADHD, migraines, or just want to be healthier, Dr. Tompkins has a program that will work for you and your family. Call us at 520.572.2596 and we’ll be happy to help your family grow healthier.