Flu Cases High
The flu has hit this year and it’s hit us pretty hard. There are more cases of the flu than we’ve noticed in recent history. It’s bad. And whenever it gets bad and even when it isn’t the first thing we hear on the news and in commercials is that we must get the flu shot.
Must we? Now before you have that initial worry and turn off the podcast cause I’m going to say something that you don’t agree with or you feel that I’m one of those crazy anti-vaccers (we’re actually saner than you might think). If you truly believed that the flu shot is going to cure you of the flu or prevent it in your life. You’ll be surely disappointed.
CDC Report On Effectiveness
Directly from the CDC preliminary released last Thursday February 15th, this years flu vaccine was only 25% effective against the most dangerous strain this year.
You heard that right. 25%. Overall the vaccine is only 36% effective.
If you have the flu shot, you still are VERY SUCCEPTIBLE to the flu. Knowing this, the guilt, the pressure that people and families receive to force them to have the flu vaccine really seems silly since what they have to offer doesn’t really work.
So now that we know that there’s no magical force field against the flu in the flu shot. But instead of taking all of our time talking about the problems with the flu shot (it’s pretty clear it’s drawbacks), lets start talking about the key to defeating the flu
How To Fight The Flu
The key to defeating the flu is the same as the key to defeating most disease. And this story will illustrate why. Imagine you live in a town with a rat problem. Everywhere you go you have piles of garbage around your town, and the rats are beginning to take over. They are taking over all the garbage heaps and destroying the town. Eventually someone gets the bright idea that they should set a ton of traps and catch all the rats. Another person thought poisoning the rats would solve the problem. Another recommended rat repellent. Everyone wanted to get rid of the rats but they were missing the problem.
The town was dirty. And a perfect breeding ground for the rats. And just catching, killing or repelling the rats isn’t the problem.
Our True Focus
If you have the flu or any other virus. Instead of focusing on preventing or eradicating a single sickness. The key to health is making sure that your body is not a breeding ground for sickness. Ensure your body is resistant to the flu.
Here are seven steps to live healthier and prevent the flu and many other sicknesses.
- Eat light: if you happen to get sick, your body needs to focus on healing over digesting, listen to your body and allow it to fast. Eat citrus to get some natural vitamin C which will stimulate white blood cell production and plenty of hydration
- Drink lots of fluids staying hydrated helps you prevent disease and also keeps your respiratory tract from drying out. Fluids also help you flush your body of toxins. Water is best, and definitely avoid sweetened drinks.
- Take immune boosting herbs:
- Elderberry is effective against 8 strains of flu virus and has been known to cut number of days of sickness by half.
- Echinacea stimulates the body to produce and strengthen white blood cells to give a major immune boost
- Ginger: ginger has wonderful anti-inflammatory properties. It also helps reduces chills, sore throat, and body aches.
- Oregano Oil: oregano oil is a powerful anti-inflammatory antiviral, antibiotic, and immune stimulator. It also relieves stuffy noses and phlegmy coughs.
- Yarrow tincture: yarrow helps reduce fever by inducing perspiration. If used frequently, it can shorten the onset as to less than 24 hours.
- Homeopathy: there are LOTS OF of homeopathic remedies that help various aspects of immune function. Belladonna for fever, Bryonia for aching joints, gelsemium for chills and muscle aches are just a few homeopathic remedies that help your immune system
- Essential oils: eucalyptus opens the lings and sinuses
- Lavender promotes relaxation and improves rest, which is vital
- Peppermint soothes fever and upset stomach
- Tea tree oil: antimicrobial
- Hydrogen peroxide: Add a few drops of hydrogen peroxide to each ear. Studies show that this is effective at preventing the flu virus.
- Vitamin C Stimulates the production of white blood cells
- Vitamin D: higher levels of vitamin D is associated with low incidence of sickness
- Zinc: reduces the duration and severity of the flu
How are you going to prevent the flu? First, simply take great care of your body so that you aren’t a breeding ground for disease. Second, make your body resistant to the flu with the seven natural methods before and you’re on your way to being healthier and prevent disease.